Read at : African SD Policy Makers <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Kate Lance <email@example.com>
SDI-Africa – GIS & remote sensing news in Africa – December 2007
Spatial Data Infrastructure — Africa (SDI-Africa) is a free, electronic newsletter for people interested in GIS, remote sensing, and data management issues in Africa. The December 2007 issue includes (among many other items):
– Algeria ‘on track’ to launch second earth observation satellite
– National Water Information System in Tunisia
– Sudan Institutional Capacity Programme: Food Security Information for Action (SIFSIA)
– Somalia Water and Land Information Management (SWALIM) Products Catalog
– Liberia: data system on country’s mineral deposits released
– Liberia Institute of Statistics and Geo-Information Services (LISGIS) to coordinate National Population and Housing Census
– Botswana Integrated Geographic Information System (IGIS) Project
– Automated e-mail based alert system warning of active fires in Madagascar
– Net-Map Toolbox – Influence Mapping of Social Networks
– Armed Conflict Location and Event Data (ACLED)
– Livestock Information Network and Knowledge System – Regional Forage Deviation Forecast for January 2008
– Spatial determinants of poverty in rural Kenya
– Uganda Atlas of HIV/AIDS Indicators 2004-05
– Using remote sensing and GIS in the analysis of ecosystem decline along the River Niger Basin: the case of Mali and Niger
– Master in Geospatial Technologies – Grants available. Deadline: 15 Janaury 2008.
– TV Conference on JICA-Net Distance Learning Seminar – “RS/GIS Seminar for Kenya”
– Active Remote Sensing Symposium in Malawi, 6-7 December 2007, Mzuzu, Malawi
– 1st International Conference Geoinformation Technologies to Support Sustainable Development in Africa (GITSDA’2008), April 5-7, 2008, Tripoli, Libya
– Call for expressions of interest – Conference on Geospatial Sciences for Sustainable Development in Africa Global Dialogue on Emerging Science and Technology (GDEST) 2008, 17-19 March 2008, Cape Town, South Africa
– 7th International Conference of the African Association of Remote Sensing of the Environment (AARSE), 27-31 October 2007, Accra, Ghana
– Preliminary program for 10th International Conference for Spatial Data Infrastrucutre (GSDI-10) now online, February 25-29, 2008, St. Augustine, Trinidad
– Measuring village ICT in Sub-Saharan Africa, 2007
– Request for Expression of Interest (Consultancy Services) – Inventory of wetland resources in the Nile Basin. Deadline: December 31, 2007.
SDI-Africa has been published monthly since May 2002 and has wide circulation across Africa. Each issue highlights recent activities, provides details about available data and tools, and includes notices about upcoming training, employment and funding opportunities, and events. The aim is to strengthen national SDI initiatives and support synchronization of regional geospatial activities. Past and current SDI-Africa newsletters are accessible at the Global Spatial Data Infrastructure Association website at
http://www.gsdi.org/newsletters.asp <http://www.gsdi.org/newsletters.asp> .
Regional newsletters for Latin America/Caribbean and Asia/Pacific regions also are available.
Please pass on this information to others who may be interested, and if you would like, sign up for the GSDI Association News List at http://www.gsdi.org/newslist/gsdisubscribe.asp <http://www.gsdi.org/newslist/gsdisubscribe.asp>
There is also an SDI-Africa Email Discussion List, http://lists.gsdi.org/mailman/listinfo/sdi-africa <http://lists.gsdi.org/mailman/listinfo/sdi-africa> ,
with intermittent news and announcements of opportunities (this email discussion list is separate from the SDI-Africa Newsletter list). The archives are accessible at: http://lists.gsdi.org/pipermail/sdi-africa/ <http://lists.gsdi.org/pipermail/sdi-africa/> ,
and you can sign up to send and receive messages.