Read at : Google Alert – desertification
St Lucia to implement convention to combat desertification
By Anselma Aimable
Caribbean Net News St Lucia Correspondent
CASTRIES, St Lucia: St Lucia’s Ministry of Agriculture, Lands, Forestry and Fisheries (MALFF) is the Focal Point for the implementation of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification UNCCD. This Convention was ratified by St Lucia in July 1997 and under the Convention to Combat Desertification (CCD) all Country Parties to the Convention are expected to prepare and implement a National Action Plan (NAP). In light of this Convention, under the European Union Special Framework of Assistance (EU-SFA) 2003 program, a consultancy to further the development of the National Action Plan and a Strategic Action Plan (NAP/SAP) for combating land degradation and drought was initiated by the Forestry Department on April 1, 2008 and will be undertaken over a period of nine months, with the final outputs due at the end of December 2008. In this regard, the services of a consultant has been contracted to support the Focal Point in the implementation of the assignment.
However, it is proposed that the past mechanism of an Adhoc Technical Committee (ATC) for deriving technical input be continued through the reactivation of this committee as an Adhoc Technical Working Group (ATWG) comprising of technical and professional persons.
The draft terms of reference of the ATWG are as follows:
- Develop a framework to expedite the preparation of the NAP
- Oversee the preparation of the NAP
- Mobilize the necessary expertise as needed for the preparation and the implementation of the NAP
- Assist in acquiring available data and ensure a steady information flow among the ATWG, Focal Point and the Consultant during the preparation of the NAP
- Review and advise on the draft outputs