Photo credit : WVC P1070394 – 2011-09
Vegetables and herbs grown in 8 weeks time on bottle towers
A simple solution for the global hunger problem
by Prof. Dr. Willem Van Cotthem (University of Ghent, Belgium)
Container gardening has become a universal success. Nowadays people are growing their own fresh food in all sorts of containers (bottles, buckets, pots, bags, sacks, drums, gutters, …).
More and more people are aware of the fact that families do not need a big garden anymore to produce a sufficient quantity of food. Today, all over the world people are gardening in small spaces, often applying vertical growing systems, e.g. on towers or on pallets.
In 2010 I have developed my first “bottle towers”, using superposed soda bottles and food grade pots to grow lots of vegetables and herbs.
The success of this simple and cheap technique to help hungry or malnourished people to fresh food and herbs can easily be measured on the basis of numbers of views of my videos, showing how to build the towers (in English and Spanish).
Should you want to convince yourself about the global applicability of this low-tech method and the affordability for all the drought-hit families, please check out my videos:
(1) Building a bottle tower for container gardening (332,281 views):
(2) HOW TO BUILD A BOTTLE TOWER (142,712 views):
(3) CÓMO HACER LA HUERTA VERTICAL DE BOTELLAS DE PLÁSTICO (2,224,894 views):
(4) Cómo cultivar plantas en botellas (258,111 views):
(5) BOTTLE TOWER GARDENS (1,427,421 views):
(6) HOW TO GROW PLANTS IN BOTTLES (196,989 views):
(7) Growing food in containers at home (321,100 views):
(8) Growing plants in a barrel (268,663 views):