UNCCD is launching an online contest for the Desertification and Drought Day 2020 theme and slogan.
Submissions can be made in any United Nations language: English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish. The competition aims to raise awareness among the public on the relevance of desertification and drought to their daily lives. It will also promote public engagement in the internationally-agreed observance of the fight against desertification and drought. The contest is open to everyone over 18 years old. Those under 18 years old can also apply with their parent’s consent. The submitted theme and slogan should be accompanied by a brief statement of not more than 300 words, explaining why the theme and slogan are:
- Relevant for the Desertification and Drought Day
- Matter for everyone in the world
- Can help the world to change. Relevant data and facts to support the theme and slogan are advantages
The winner will receive a monetary prize of USD 300 and the public recognition by the UNCCD secretariat.
The application deadline is 26 November 2019.
The theme and slogan should be:
- Informative – help the general public to learn something new, interesting or inspiring about the fight against land degradation, desertification and mitigation of drought
- Positive, solution-oriented, engaging and inspiring
- Focused on both people and ecosystems
- Forward-looking or future-oriented
- Easy to translate into actionable messages for individuals and for communities